To ensure data is accurate we prefer to collect the information we need directly from you. We will usually do this:
- If you visit our website.
- If you complete an online form.
- If you request details of our leisure moorings.
- When you start to do business/trade with the Commissioners/Pilotage Service
- When you apply for board membership/job opportunities.
- If you respond to tender opportunities.
- If you visit our premises.
What information do we collect?
The information we collect may vary based on what services and information we provide to you:
- We may gather information when you visit our website, such as which pages you visit or how long you spend reading a particular page.
- Your title, name, address, date of birth, email address, telephone numbers.
- Particulars of any vessel using our moorings, evidence of boat insurance.
- Personal information provided when applying for board membership/job vacancies such as your name, address, work history, qualifications and references; along with any other information which you choose to supply us with on your CV.
You may refuse to provide us with some or all of your personal information, however this might restrict how we interact with you.
How do we use your information?
Information you provide or we hold about you may be used by us or our agents (or both) to:-
- identify you when you contact us.
- internal record keeping;
- to administer and contact you about accounts and records related to your application to take products or services we have provided before, or provide now or in the future;
- Complying with any legal or contractual obligations we may have.
- to contact you about an incident or accident in the harbour that you were directly involved in or have witnessed.
- Where you give us information on behalf of someone else (for example if a boat is in shared ownership), you confirm that you have provided them with the information set out in this privacy notice, and that they agree to the uses of their personal information described in it.
- Advising of changes in our services, charges, or new services we feel would be beneficial to you.
- Dealing with any problems, enquiries, or complaints.
- Progressing applications for job vacancies/board appointments using data and information provided to make selections from and informing you on the outcome of your application.
- Unless required by law data will be held for 12 months or 6 months for job applications.
Lawful basis for processing your data
Please note that Cattewater Harbour Commissioners do not require your consent where we are relying on lawful basis for processing your data; for example
- Where you agree to enter into a contract or take a product or service from us such as an annual or temporary mooring licence; a visitor mooring; licences or leases of buildings or property, and miscellaneous services.
- Where processing is necessary for a contract or for the purposes of Cattewater Harbour Commissioners or a third party’s legitimate interests.
- Any authorised activity in our capacity as Statutory Harbour Authority for the Cattewater Harbour such as the investigation and recording of incidents or accidents, and prosecution of offences committed under harbour legislation.
- Communications between Cattewater Harbour Commissioners and our contracted staffing agency for provision of crew/personnel.
- Communications including emailing Local Notices to Mariners/weather warnings. which may affect you/your afloat vessel’s safety.
Who might we share your information with?
We do not sell or pass your personal information to any external party other than for lawful purposes for processing data.
Our IT and web-hosting suppliers have access to data held to the extent needed to provide our website and IT systems. They are governed by contracts and will adhere to this policy.
IP addresses and cookies
Cookies on our website allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and see how visitors navigate around our website. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example by making sure users are finding what they need easily.
These also collect some basic information about the device including the operating system/web browsers. We use this to ensure that website is suitable for all devices that view it for example to ensure the site is mobile friendly to tablet/smartphone users etc.
Securing your data
We take reasonable technical precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. We hold your data on secure servers.
Our policies and processes ensure your information is only available to our employees who need to see it to do their job and such employment agencies officially contracted to supply the Cattewater Harbour Commissioners and Plymouth Pilotage service with support staff.
You have the following rights related to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of personal information held about you.
- The right to request that inaccuracies be corrected.
- The right to request us to stop processing your personal data.
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
- The right to withdraw consent.
- The right to delete any data we hold about you.
- The right to restrict processing.
- The right to request transfer of your data to another controller.
- The right not to be subject to automated decisions.
We must notify you if we suffer a data breach and your data is affected in a way that it poses a risk to your rights and freedoms.
How can I access the Information you hold about me?
Any questions, queries or comments with regards to this policy or how we handle your personal data are welcomed. If you wish to access, edit or remove your personal information (where permitted) you can do so by sending us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by registered letter to:
Cattewater Harbour Commissioners, 2 The Barbican, Plymouth. PL1 2LR
We will respond to any request to access, amend or delete your personal data within 30 days.
Last updated 23rd May 2018